Can I watch a class?
- Absolutely, anyone is welcome to come and watch any class held during the week.
Can I try a class?
- Of course. It's easy to join our Beginners Program to see if Aikido is right for you. New members are welcome to attend any Thursday night session, when we hold induction classes every week. This introduces you to the basic movements and etiquette of Aikido and provides a platform for your ongoing participation in any of our weekly classes, and you don’t have to wait for a specific week to start. You just need to wear some comfortable exercise clothes, eg. shorts and a t-shirt to start with. If you already have a uniform from doing karate or judo previously, feel free to wear that.
When you go up the stairway to our dojo, just take a seat on the chairs at the top. It is best to arrive at about 6:00pm, to fill in a short form before training. The usual instructor every Thursday is Mark Pearcy, and he will come over and introduce himself when you get there, and show you anything else you need to know before starting.
I can't do Thursday nights, are there other beginner classes?
- Yes. If Thursday night is not practical for your schedule, Tuesday nights would be the next most appropriate session, as this class is also aimed at beginner level.
What more can you tell me about Aikido?
- Aikido is a non-aggressive, non-competitive Japanese martial art, and indeed a path that will provide you with the capability to develop your mind, body and spirit, enhancing all aspects of life. We train in a friendly, caring environment, by sharing knowledge, experience, energy and dedicating our time in the overall pursuit of perfecting our Aikido.
One typical way of training we do is paired exercises with a set format of one person attacking and the other person “receiving” this attack and practicing a technique.
What are the costs?
- The cost of the Beginners Program is $40 per person, which covers the first 4 Thursdays you attend (these don’t need to be consecutive weeks- the instructor will record how many weeks you have attended).